The Ashinaga Africa Initiative is for African students including Nigerians who wish to pursue undergraduate studies abroad in countries like the United States of America (USA), United Kingdom, Japan etc outside their countries of origin or residence. The countries where the successful candidates will pursue their studies will be decided during the study camp for students selected for this scholarship.
Scholarship Benefits: Ashinaga scholarship is fully-funded and covers tuition, accommodation, travel costs, and other necessary fees.
The application is open to those who:
- Have lost one or both parents.
- Have completed 12 years of education (primary and secondary school) within the last two years, or those who will complete 12 years of education by December 31, 2018.
- Have citizenship and have completed/are completing high school in one of the following countries: Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Kingdom of eSwatini, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Were born after 1st October, 1996.
- Do not have the financial means to attend university.
- Are proficient in English.
- Have an outstanding academic performance at high school and were amongst the top students in their class.
- Are able to participate in the two Ashinaga preparatory programmes, over the course of one year, before attending university.
- Are willing to return home, or to Sub-Saharan Africa, and contribute to society after graduating from university.
- Have no dependents who could interfere with academic progress.
- Are in good health and capable of studying abroad.
- Completed application form
- Working email address and telephone number
- Document proving the death of one or both parents, such as a death certificate
- Proof of age, such as a birth certificate, national ID or passport
- Secondary school/high school graduation certificate
- Results from final national exams
- Academic report cards from the last two years of high school/secondary school
- Recommendation letter from a principal or teacher
- Passport-style photo of yourself
- Both essays described below
Angola, Botswana, Cape Verde, Ethiopia, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
How To apply
There are three ways to apply for the Ashinaga Africa Initiative, although we prefer online applications or those sent by email. The three application method and their steps are outlined below;
|Step 1||Gather all the required documents, except for the application form.||Click here to download the english application form||Click here to download the english application form,or ask for the form from your local Japanese embassy.|
|Step 2||Scan the required documents in either PDF or JPG format.||Print the application form and fill it out.||Print the application form and fill it out.|
|Step 3||Click here to apply online||Scan the completed application form and the other required documents in either PDF or JPG format.||Make photocopies of your completed application form and all other required documents|
|Step 4||Application complete||Email your scanned documents to: [email protected] Use your name and country as the email title.||Send all photocopies to the following address: Ashinaga Africa Initiative Recruitment Team P. O. Box 16864 – Kampala, UGANDA Do not send original documents, copies only.|
|Step 5||–||Application complete||Application complete|
There is no application fee, and you must never pay anyone to apply or to apply on your behalf. Please note that if you apply by post, all submitted documents will not be returned to you. Therefore, you must send copies of documents ONLY.
Application opens September 16th, 2018 and closes December 16th, 2018.
For more information, visit the official scholarship page.