When it comes to choosing a university of study, one of the things that bothers most students is the cost of the school fees students pay in such university. Most students prefer to study in public universities because of the exorbitant school fees charged in private universities.
However, among the public universities (Federal and State universities), some are still way more expensive than the others. Which explains the purpose of this post, which is to highlight the cheapest and most affordable federal and state universities In Nigeria.
Generally, students in Federal universities pay cheaper school fees than their counterparts in state universities. However, every one must not go to a federal university. So, whether you decide to go to a federal university or a state university, you likely would want to know the cheapest or most affordable universities in the three categories.
The essence of this post is to bring to you the list of the cheapest and most affordable federal, state and private universities in Nigeria.
But just before that, it is important to note that in most universities the school fees paid by students differ depending on the course of study and the level of study. Someone studying Medicine may pay higher than someone studying Accounting in the same university.
Similarly, someone in his or her 1st year of study will likely pay higher school fees than some one in 3rd or 4th year of study. Also, in most of the state universities, the school fees for indigenes of the state and non indigenes often differ.
Apart from few universities we have confirmed that they charge the same amount of school fees across board (that is same school fees from 100 level to final year), what we have here is an estimated range of the school fees paid in these universities. So, let’s get down to it.
Cheapest And Most affordable Federal Universities In Nigeria
(Federal Universities with school fees below ₦60,000)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK): ₦20,000 – ₦25,000
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU): ₦20,000 – ₦30,000
- Ahmadu Bello University (ABU): ₦ 27,000 – ₦35,000
- University of Ibadan (UI): ₦ 20,000 – ₦35,000
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN): ₦20,000 – ₦40,000
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB): ₦25,000 – ₦45,000
- University of Jos (UNIJOS): ₦ 45,000
- Bayero University, Kano (BUK): ₦ 33,000
- University of Calabar (UNICAL): ₦ 35,000
- University of Lagos (UNILAG): ₦ 20,000 – ₦ 35,000
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada (UNIABUJA): ₦ 36,000
- Usman Danfodio University, Sokoto (UDUSOK): ₦ 37,000
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina (FUDMA) ₦ 43,000
- University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT): ₦45,000
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike (MOUAU): ₦ 46,000
- University of Benin (UNIBEN): ₦ 47,000 (200L and above pays less than ₦20,000)
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO): ₦40,000
- Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA): ₦ 49,000
- Federal University of Technology, Minna (FUTMINNA): ₦ 50,000
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN): ₦ 50,000
- University of Uyo (UNIUYO): ₦ 55,ooo
Cheapest And Most affordable State Universities In Nigeria
(State Universities with school fees below ₦ 100,000)
- Gombe State University (GOMSU): ₦ 25,000 – ₦ 30,000
- Nasarawa State University (NSUK): ₦ 35,000
- Taraba State University (TASU): ₦ 37,000
- Benue State University (BSU): ₦ 45,000
- Ekiti State University (EKSU): ₦50,000
- Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU): ₦ 53,000
- Kogi State University (KSU): ₦ 57,000
- Delta State University (DELSU): ₦ 58,000
- Kebbi State University of Science and Technology (KSUSTA): ₦ 60,000
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH): ₦ 65,000
- Rivers State University of Sciences and Technology, (RSUST): ₦ 68,000
- Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED): ₦ 80,000
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH): ₦ 85,000
So there you have it; the cheapest and most affordable federal and state universities in Nigeria. If you think any one of them is not correct probably because it has changed from what it was when this post was first published, please do notify us using the comment box so it can be updated.