The University of Ilorin, UNILORIN 2017/2018 Postgraduate Admission has been announced. Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into various Postgraduate degree programmes of the University of Ilorin for the 2017/2018 academic session.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: (i) Only Courses available for the session are advertised and as such
Candidates are advised to select courses available in this advertisement.
Any action contrary to this instruction is at the candidate’s risk, please.
(ii) Candidates are advised to PRINT out the advertisement and STUDY thoroughly before COMMENCING the application procedure
A. UNILORIN 2017/2018 POSTGRADUATE ADMISSION – POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES OFFERED
- Ph.D. Degree Programmes
These are available to holders of M.A; M.Ed.; M.Eng.; M.Sc.; LL.M; M.Comm.H.; and M.P.H degrees, with a minimum of 60% or equivalent Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) score in their Master degree programmes. A Ph.D. degree programme runs for a minimum period of 36 calendar months and a maximum period of 48 calendar months for full-time candidates OR a minimum period of 48 calendar months and a maximum period of 60 calendar months for part-time candidates. Relevant Courses will be taken for the Ph.D. studies where prescribed and a Thesis is required at the end of the Ph.D. programme.
- M.Phil /Ph.D. Degree Programmes
Candidates who score between 55.00 and 59.99 percent can apply for admission into the Master of Philosophy (M.Phil/Ph.D.) degree programme. The M.Phil/Ph.D. degree programme is available only to full-time candidates. It runs for a minimum period of 12 calendar months and a maximum period of 24 calendar months and a Dissertation is produced after the research work. Candidates in this category are eligible for conversion to Ph.D. candidature, following a progress assessment report to be made by a Panel of Examiners at the end of the first session of registration. To be eligible for conversion for the Ph.D. program, candidates are expected to score not less than 60% (aggregate) at the end of the first session.
- Master Degree Programmes
M.A.; M.Ed.; M.Eng.; M.Sc.; M.Com.H., LL.M and M.P.H. degrees run for a minimum period of 24 calendar months and a maximum period of 36 calendar months for full-time candidates OR a minimum period of 36 calendar months and a maximum period of 48 calendar months for part-time candidates. All Master Degree Programmes are by course work. This is in addition to a research report at the end of which a Dissertation is produced
- Postgraduate Diploma Degree Programmes
Postgraduate Diploma degrees are available to candidates with a Third class (honours) degree.
Applicants are to note that programmes automatically lapse at the expiration of the prescribed maximum duration for each programme. However, a candidate may apply for an extension of not more than 12 months, in the first instance, subject to a maximum of two such extensions.
- General information
The Postgraduate session for Postgraduate programmes is 12 calendar months, commencing on 2nd October and ending on 30thSeptember of the following year. The 12 calendar months start to count automatically from the date of first registration.
B. UNILORIN 2017/2018 POSTGRADUATE ADMISSION – ELIGIBILITY FOR ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES
- All Certificates shall be available at the point of purchasing the application form, including the National Youth Service Corp DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE OR EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE.
- Candidates are expected to submit their application forms on line together with the scanned copies of their credentials.
- All supporting documents in (i) above and the hard copy of the application form should be forwarded to the Secretary, Postgraduate School, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria between Monday, 8th May, 2017 and Monday 22nd, May, 2017 while the submission of Transcripts of Academic Records should be to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought. The Postgraduate School will not be held liable for any misdirected transcript, please.
- All candidates must have 5 O/L Credit passes, including English Language and Mathematics.
- Applicants for the Master degree programmes who are graduates of the University of Ilorin and other recognized universities must have a minimum of Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division) and must be applying for programmes in which they have their first degrees. However, applicants with Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division) and those with higher classes of degrees seeking admissions into programmes outside those in which they have their first degrees may be admitted, provided they satisfy Senate in a qualifying examination to be conducted. The least class of Degree for all academic programme applicants is Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division). Regardless of the institution where the Bachelor’s degree is obtained. ALL candidates shall apply early for their official Bachelor’s degree transcript to be sent to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought, before the expiration of the stated deadline in B(ii) above.
- Applicants for the Ph.D. degree programme shall have obtained a relevant Master degree of this or other recognized University, with an average weighted score of at least 60%. Short-listed candidates would be required to satisfy the Postgraduate School in the qualifying interviews and assessments by the relevant Department. Applicants are therefore advised to interact with the department to which they have applied to ascertain the date of the interview for the Ph.D. degree programme. Regardless of the Institution where the Master degree was obtained. ALL candidates must apply early for the official copy of their academic transcripts to be sent to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought for the purpose of this admission and before the expiration of the stated deadline.
- All Higher Degree candidates that attended foreign Universities, where English language is not the medium of instruction, should submit to the Postgraduate School, evidence of their English Language proficiency, e.g. TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- Applicants for the Postgraduate Diplomas and Masters degree Programmes will be subjected to the written assessment (qualifying examination) irrespective of the class of degree obtained, except applicants from the University of Ilorin with a First Class and Second Class, Upper Division (Honours).
- International applicants (Applicants who are domiciled outside Nigeria, and non-Nigerian and applying outside the country) shall be exempted from the qualifying examination. However, International applicants applying from outside the country for the Doctor of Philosophy programmes shall be requested to submit a proposal of not more than 5 pages, giving details of what research they intend to carry out. This should be sent electronically to [email protected]
- Applicants applying for any of the Full-time programme of the University should the letter of release from their employers at the point of registration.
- Applicants for the Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science shall satisfy one of the following:
- a minimum of first degree in any of the following disciplines from a recognised University: Sciences, Engineering, Social Sciences or the Humanities.
- HND in Computer Science or Engineering from recognized Polytechnics with a minimum of Lower Credit; and
- HND in any other discipline different from those in (ii) but preferably from Sciences or Social Sciences with a minimum of Lower Credit from a recognized Polytechnic or equivalent Institution, with at least one year cognate experience.
- Applicants for Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics shall satisfy one of the following:
- A minimum of an honour’s degree from a recognized University in any of Science and Social Science disciplines;
- HND in Statistics from a recognized Polytechnic with a minimum of Lower Credit.
C. DETAILS OF AVAILABLE PROGRAMMES
1. FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS AND FARM MANAGEMENT: M.Sc.; M.Phil/Ph.D.; Ph.D. Agricultural Economics (with specialization in Agricultural Economics)
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT: M.Sc.; Ph.D. Agricultural Extension
DEPARTMENT OF AGRONOMY
M.Sc.; Agronomy (with specialization in General Agronomy, Horticulture; Plant Breeding Genetics, Weed Science and Crop Physiology).
M.Phil/Ph.D., Ph.D. Agronomy with specialization in General Agronomy, Horticulture and Weed Science.
M.Sc.; Soil Science (with specialization in Soil Microbiology & Biochemical, Soil Fertility and Chemistry, Soil and Water Management, Soil Survey and Land use Evaluations).
M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Soil Science (with specialization in Genetics, Soil Science, Pedology, Soil Survey and Land Use, Soil Microbiology and Biochemistry)
DEPARTMENT OF CROP PROTECTION
M.Sc.; Ph.D. Crop Protection (with specialization in Entomology; Phyto -Pathology).
DEPARTMENT OF ANIMAL PRODUCTION
Postgraduate Diploma in Animal Production
M.Sc.; MPhil/Ph.D.; Ph.D. Animal Production (with specialization in Animal Nutrition, Animal Breeding and Genetics, Animal Physiology).
DEPARTMENT OF HOME ECONOMICS AND FOOD SCIENCE
M.Sc. Food Science (with specializations in Food Post- Harvest Technology, Plant and Animal Processing and Preservation, Food Safety and Biotechnology).
M.Sc. Home Economics (with specializations in Home Economics, Family and Child Development, Textiles, Clothing and Fashion Management, Hospitality and Tourism Management, Home Management).
2. FACULTY OF ARTS
DEPARTMENT OF ARABIC.
M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Arabic Languages.
M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Arabic Literature.
DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D., Ph.D. English Language
M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D., Ph.D. Literature–in–English
DEPARTMENT OF FRENCH
M.A.; (with specialization in Translation Sociolinguistics and Stylistic)
M.A. Literature-in-French (with specialization in African Literature)
Ph.D. French Language (with specialization in Translation)
DEPARTMENT OF LINGUISTICS AND NIGERIAN LANGUAGES
M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Linguistics;
M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Applied Linguistics;
M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Yoruba Language
M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Yoruba Literature
DEPARTMENT OF THE PERFORMING ARTS
M.A.; Performing Arts (with specialization in Drama; Music; Dance).
M.Phil./Ph.D. Performing Arts (with specialization in Drama; Music; Dance).
Ph.D. Performing Arts (with specialization in Drama; Music; Dance).
DEPARTMENT OF RELIGIONS
M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Christian Studies.
M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Comparative Religious Studies
M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Islamic Studies
DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY AND INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. History and International Studies.
CENTRE FOR PEACE AND STRATEGIC STUDIES
M.A.; Ph.D. Peace and Development Studies. (with specialization in Conflict Management and Peace Building, Security and Strategic Studies, Peace and Environmental Studies and Peace and Development Journalism)
3. FACULTY OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE
Ph.D. Finance (Internal Only)
DEPARTMENT OF ACCOUNTING
Ph.D. (with specialization in Strategic Management Accounting, Environmental Accounting, Taxation, Financial Reporting and Governance, Auditing and Investigation)
DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
M.Sc.; Ph.D. Business Administration (with specialization in General Management, Marketing Management, Human Resources Management, Operation Management).
4. FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE
M.Sc. Political Science (with specialization in Comparative Politics and International Relations).
DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY
M.Sc.; Ph.D. Sociology. (with specialization in Industrial Sociology; Criminology; Medical Sociology).
DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY AND ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D. Geography and Environmental Management (with specializations in Climatology, Geomorphology, Biogeography, Hydrology and Water Resources, Social Geography, Remote Sensing, Regional Development, Population Geography, Urban Geography, Rural Geography, Settlement Geography, Transport Geography, Housing Studies, Agricultural Geography, Medical Geography, Gender Studies, Tourism and Recreation, Resource Management).
5. FACULTY OF COMMUNICATION AND INFORMATION SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science (PGDCS).
Sc. Mass Communication (with specialization in Print Journalism, Broadcast Journalism and Public Relation & Advertising)
6. FACULTY OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY
Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Technology (PGDET).
M.Ed.; M.Phil. /Ph.D.; Ph.D.;. Educational Technology (with specialization in Assistive Technology, Distance Education, E- Learning and Instructional Technology)
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH PROMOTION AND ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH EDUCATION
M.Ed.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Health Education ( with specialization in Primary Health Care, Reproductive and Family Health, Drug Education, Safety Health Education, Nutritional Education, and Community Health Education).
Master of Public Health Education (M. PHE) (with specialization in Drug Education, Primary Health care, Community Health Education, Reproductive and Family Health, Safety Health Education).
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN KINETIC EDUCATION
M.Sc. (Ed.); M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D.; Human Kinetics (with specialization in Administration and Management of Human Kinetics and Sports Exercise and Sport Science).
M.Sc. (Ed.); Human Kinetics (with specialization in Recreation and Tourism).
DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE EDUCATION
M.Ed.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Curriculum Development in Science Education
M.Ed.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Mathematics Education
M.Ed.; Science Education (with specialization in Physics)
M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. (with specialization in Biology, Chemistry and Physics).
DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SCIENCES EDUCATION
M.Ed., M.Phil./Ph.D., Social Studies Education
M.Ed., M.Phil./Ph.D., Ph.D. Curriculum Development
M.Ed., Ph.D. Educational Psychology
M.Ed., M.Phil./Ph.D., Ph.D. Sociology of Education
DEPARTMENT OF ARTS EDUCATION
M.Ed., Ph.D. English Language Education; Arabic Language Education; Mother Tongue Education; Comparative Education, Religion Education, History Education (for M.Ed. only).
M.Phil./Ph.D. English Language Education
7. FACULTY OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURAL AND BIOSYSTEMS ENGINEERING
M.Eng.; Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering (with specialization in Soil and Water Conservation, Irrigation and Drainage Engineering; Farm Power and Machinery Engineering; Agro-Product Processing Food Engineering, Aqua cultural Engineering; Renewable Energy Engineering)
M.Phil./Ph.D. Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering (with specialization in Farm Power and Machinery Engineering, Soil and Water conservation, Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, Agro-Product Processing and Food Engineering, Renewable Energy).
Ph.D. Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering (Farm Power and Machinery Engineering, Soil and Water Conservation, Irrigation and Drainage, Agro-Production & Food Engineering).
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
M.Eng.; Civil Engineering (with Specialization in Structural and Materials Engineering; Highway and Transportation Engineering, Water, Geotechnical Engineering).
M.Phil./Ph.D. Civil Engineering
Ph.D. Civil Engineering
M.Sc. Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM).
DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering and Electronics (with specialization in Electronics and Communication Engineering; Control Engineering).
M.Eng. Electrical and Electronics (with specialization in Power and Mechanics)
M.Eng. Electrical and Electronics Engineering (with specialization in Computer and Control (for Staff only).
DEPARTMENT OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
M.Eng.; M.Phil./Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering (with specialization in Production Engineering, Thermofluids Engineering, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering)
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering (Production Engineering; Thermofluids Engineering, Material and Metallurgical Engineering)
DEPARTMENT OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
M.Eng.; M.Phil./Ph.D. Chemical Engineering (with specialization in Polymer Engineering, Pollution Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Transport Process Engineering).
8. FACULTY OF BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF ANATOMY
M.Sc. Anatomy (with specialization in Neuroanatomy; Molecular Endocrinology; Physical Anthropology; Developmental Biology, and Reproductive Biology).
M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Anatomy (with specialization in Neuroanatomy, Molecular Endocrinology, Developmental Biology, and Reproductive Biology).
DEPARTMENT OF PHYSIOLOGY
M.Sc.; M.Phil/Ph.D.; Ph.D. Physiology (with specialization in Cardiovascular Physiology; Endocrinology and Metabolism; Membrane Physiology; Neurophysiology).
DEPARTMENT OF PHARMACOLOGY AND THERAPEUTICS
M.Sc.; Ph.D. Pharmacology and Therapeutic
DEPARTMENT OF MEDICAL MICROBIOLOGY AND PARASITOLOGY
M.Sc.; M.Phil/ Ph.D. Medical Microbiology and Parasitology (with specialization in Bacteriology, Virology, Mycology, Parasitology)
FACULTY OF CLINICAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF EPIDEMIOLOGY AND COMMUNITY HEALTH
Master of Community Health (M.Comm.H.); (with specialization in Tropical Public Health, Epidemiology and Community Health, Occupational Health, Environmental Health, Health Management and Health Education).
Master in Public Health (MPH) (with specialization in Tropical Public Health, Epidemiology and Community Health, Occupational Health, Environmental Health, Health Management, Health Education).
Ph.D. Public Health (with specialization in Epidemiology).
10. FACULTY OF PHYSICAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS
M.Sc., M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Mathematics (with specialization in Optimization; Fluid Mechanics; Analytical Dynamics; Numerical Analysis; Algebra; Complex Analysis; Mathematical Modeling; Functional Analysis, Real Analysis, Operator Algebra).
DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
Postgraduate Diploma in Chemistry.
M.Sc; Chemistry (with specialization in Physical Inorganic; Organic; Analytical; Environmental).
M.Phil/Ph.D. Chemistry (with specialization in Physical; Inorganic, Analytical, Organic).
Ph. D. Chemistry (with specialization in Physical, Inorganic, Analytical , Organic).
DEPARTMENT OF INDUSTRIAL CHEMISTRY
M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D. and Ph.D. Industrial Chemistry (with specialization in Analytical / Environmental Chemistry, Food and Nutrition Chemistry, Medicinal / Natural Product Chemistry)
DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS
M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D. and Ph.D. Physics (with specialization in Radio Propagation and Space/Communication Physics; Ionospheric Physics; Solid State and Materials’ Science; Theoretical and Mathematical Physics; Solar Energy and Solar Radiation Physics; Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics).
DEPARTMENT OF STATISTICS
Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics (PGDS) (with specialization in Design of Exponent, Sample Survey, Biostatistics, Quality Control, Categorical Data Analysis).
M.sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D;. Ph.D. Statistics ( with specialization in Statistical Quality Control, Biostatistics, Sample Survey and Demography, Multivariate Analysis, Econometrics, Mathematical Statistics).
DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGY AND MINERAL SCIENCES
Postgraduate Diploma Geology (with specialization in Petroleum Geology/ Sedimentology, Engineering Geology, Hydrogeology, Solid Minerals, Applied Geophysical).
M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Geology (with specialization in Petroleum Geology, Sedimentology, Engineering Geology, Hydrogeology, Solid Minerals, Applied Geophysics).
11. FACULTY OF LIFE SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY
M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.;. Ph.D. Biochemistry.
DEPARTMENT OF MICROBIOLOGY
M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.;. Ph.D. Microbiology (with specialization in Industrial Microbiology; Environmental Microbiology; Medical & Veterinary Microbiology).
DEPARTMENT OF PLANT BIOLOGY
M.Sc., M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Plant Biology (with specialization in Plant Anatomy and Taxonomy, Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, Lower Plants, Herbal Medicine, Plant Diversity and Environmental Management.
DEPARTMENT OF ZOOLOGY
M.Sc. Zoology (with specialization in Cell Biology and Genetics, Entomology, Fisheries and Hydrobiology , Parasitology).
Ph.D. Zoology (with specialization in Entomology, Fisheries and Hydrobiolgy and Parasitology).
12. FACULTY OF LAW
LLM Common Law.
LLM Islamic Law.
D. APPLICATION FEES
Application fee for all programmes is N25, 000.00 only for Applicants within Nigeria OR $200.00 only for International Applicants.
E. UNILORIN 2017/2018 POSTGRADUATE ADMISSION – DATES AND VENUES OF QUALIFYING EXAMINATION
A three-hour qualifying examination for all applicants stated in C6 above for those seeking admissions into Master and Postgraduate Degree programmes, will hold on Saturday, 1st July, 2017, at 8.30a.m prompt in the following venues:
(i) FACULTY OF ARTS NEW LECTURE THEATRE:- For candidates seeking admission into Faculty of Arts.
(ii) FACULTY OF ARTS LECTURE HALL AND FACULTIES OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES LECTURE THEATHRE: – For candidates seeking admissions into Faculties of Management Science and Social Sciences.
(iii) FACULTY OF EDUCATION NEW LECTURE THEATRE – For candidates seeking admissions into Faculty of Education.
(iv) LECTURE THEATRE I & II NEW SCIENCE LECTURE THEATRE & ENGINEERING LECTURE THEATRE
for candidates seeking admissions into the Faculties, Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Physical and Life Science.
(v) FACULTY OF LAW LECTURE ROOMS AND THEATRE: for candidates seeking admission into the Faculty.
(vi) FACULTY OF COMMUNICATION AND INFORMATION SCIENCES LECTURE THEATRE: for candidates seeking admission into the Faculty.
PLEASE NOTE: July 1st, 2017 is for Qualifying Examination as there will be no formal letters of invitation to candidates for the Qualifying Examination as this advertisement will serve as the invitation.
F. UNILORIN 2017/2018 POSTGRADUATE ADMISSION – METHOD OF APPLICATION
Application Forms are to be completed on-line and will close on Friday, 30th June 2017. Note that the latest date for receipt of supporting documents is Monday, 31st July 2017. Successful applicants would be notified by e-mail.
For details on the qualifying/entrance exam date and schedule, click hereShare This Post